Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ho Ho Ho? or HUMBUG?!!

One of the things I enjoy doing during the Christmas Holidays is People Watch! I find it fascinating that people tend to react to the holidays in one of two ways; ho ho ho or humbug. During the hustle and bustle of the season it's easy to get a little frustrated with so much to do.Kids seem to be on one extended sugar high as they bounce off the walls and hang from the rafters in their excitement and enthusiasm. Traffic seems to be at a constant standstill as people jockey for positions in parking lots and freeways. Just remember the next time that someone cuts you off on the highway or your kids don't seem to listen as well as usual, that you have been there before and done the same thing. Christmas is a magical time that we are suppose to enjoy and if you aren't, what are YOU doing to stop yourself from enjoying it? During the last conference, Elder Richard G. Scott said the following, "The inspiring influence of the Holy Spirit can be overcome or masked by strong emotion, such as anger, hate, passion, fear, or pride. When such influences are present, it is like trying to savor the delicate flavor of a grape while eating a jalapeno pepper. Both flavors are present, but one completely overpowers the other."
Let's give ourselves a break and remember what the season is all about.Take a deep breath, change your attitude, and pray for the spirit of the season to attend you. It will make all the difference. Happy Day!!!
Thought for the day:
"The Art of being wise is the Art of knowing what to overlook."

5 comments:

Chris & Jamie said...

Love it!

patty323 said...

you are so right, let us all remember the meaning of christmas.

Darwin + Kiara said...

All I have to say is: Amen! Thanks so much for the nice comment you left on my blog yesterday and for the awesome gift. I have one for you as well, so I'll have to call you and make arrangements for us to meet up so I can give it to you. Merry Christmas, Janice!

Jess Beach said...

Oh Mama, your genius seemply astounds me. I luff your quote. Merry Chreestmas! :DD

Jay and Emily said...

Hey Janice! It's Emily, from the issue room. I loved your thoughts and it was just what I needed. Thanks for always being so friendly. Everyone loves you at my work and loves talking to you! Tomorrow is my last day so hopefully I see you before I leave. If not, we can keep in touch through blogging. :)