Thursday, December 17, 2009

Final--ly!!

So I am sitting in the UVU library(my home away from home) with 2 finals today and then I am done with this semester! Hallelujah!!! I have learned a lot this semester but it's been a pretty tough one to keep on top of because of research papers,general paperwork, and out of school hours. One of my finals is my mediation class which I really learned a lot from. We read a book called, "Crucial Conversations" which I highly recommend. One of the things it talks extensively about is when you are in conversation with someone and it starts to get heated because you want them to agree with you( BECAUSE YOU ARE RIGHT OF COURSE) you need to take a deep breath, step back and ask yourself a very important question. What do I really want? Do you HAVE to be right? Or do you want to keep a healthy happy relationship with that person? Every person deserves respect in conversation even when we don't agree! Sometimes we talk to the people we love the most in the most degrading and harmful ways. No person should be treated as our own whipping post just because we are having a bad day. Just remember that one of the best ways to persuade others is with your ears--by listening to them. Since communication seems to be such a problem in marriages and family relationships, I really think this book is a great tool to sharpen your skills. OK, enough about the book! Now it's on to Christmas which is next week! Oh My Gosh!!! I hope everyone is in the holiday mode and enjoying it to the fullest! It's certainly a beautiful time of year! Love to you all and as always---Happy Day!
Thought for the Day: "Adversity introduces a man to himself."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love when finals are (almost) done-congrats on finishing yet another semester. I've had my cousin's copy of Crucial Conversations on my bedside table for, oh, 2.5 years (since I moved in here) and I still need to read it! I've heard it's fabulous and good for those of us who like to create stories in our heads :). Anyway enjoy being done for awhile!

Darwin + Kiara said...

Yay for being done with finals!! Woot! Woot! One more semester to go! Hallelujah!

Jake and Megan said...

Love this post! I read it to Jake (I don't think I have to explain why...) It's so true and it's something that I need to actually work on myself. Anyway, I think I need to read this book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Unknown said...

Hey Janice, this is DJ Mills. Can I have your email address? I have some questions about cruises. My address is djthespud@gmail.com thanks!